Five hundred years ago, Martin Luther tried to relegate the book of James to the appendix of the Bible.
Why? It didn’t square with his “faith alone” theology.
But James is far more than just an apologetic argument against Luther’s faulty doctrine.
It holds the secret of joyful suffering and is a powerful (and scary) reminder of how we need to seriously guard what we say.
No credit card. No strings. No nothing…except incredible spiritual formation that will set your soul on fire!
In the latest Art of Catholic podcast, author Shane Kapler (James: Jewish Roots, Catholic Fruits) and I discuss:
- How we can actually endure suffering joyfully
- Exactly what to do when we suffer
- How suffering is related to deification
- How your speech can literally keep you out of heaven
- Why Luther called the book of James an “epistle of straw”
- Why James’s nickname was “Camel Knees”
- and a lot more!
I took James as my Confirmation name particularly because of this book of the Bible, so this topic is close to my heart. He pulls no punches…so get ready:).
P.S. This is an episode to share with your friends. Please do so!