Featuring Curtis Mitch
Have you ever read something in the Bible and thought, “Yikes! That doesn’t sound like a loving God!”
There are a lot of difficult events (not to mention direct instructions from God) that cause 21st century Christians a lot of angst.
Of particular note is the extreme violence ordered by God against seemingly innocent people. So what gives? How does this square with the love taught by Christ and His Church?
To provide some answers, I brought in Curtis Mitch. He’s one of the sharpest biblical minds in the Catholic Church. (For the last 20 years he’s been writing the commentary in the best-selling Ignatius Catholic Study Bible.)
He’s got serious Scripture skills and I love having him on the show.
Among other things, we’ll discuss:
- Why the Israelites engaged in the violent conquest of Canaan (killing everyone and everything…Yeah, I told you this one wasn’t easy)
- What is herem warfare and why did God order it
- The whole point of the Promised Land
- The extremely dire consequences of idolatry
- How to reconcile the violence of the Old Testament with the love taught by Christ
- What lessons we can learn from the Israelites for our spiritual life
This might be the most difficult topic we’ve ever addressed. But it’s a necessary one to address if we’re going to proclaim the truth of God in the world (not to mention grow in our understanding and faith).
P.S. Looking for that next step up the spiritual ladder? Something designed to actually transform your life?
“I’ve completed several sessions and find them SPECTACULAR!!!” Sara
“This is the best, most powerful, most insightful study I have ever done, bar none. It has made a huge difference in my life!” Joriah
“If you’ve ever wanted to deepen your life of prayer and actually make some progress in avoiding vice and growing in virtue, look no further.” Dr. Brant Pitre – Renowned theologian & best-selling author